Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yummy Slow Cooker Roast

Yep, that's what I have it bookmarked as, so that's what I'm titling this entry :)


Here is the original recipe I found (click on recipe). I don't have many comments to go along with this, other than it's good and you should try it, even though it's apparently extremely high in fat. I guess that makes it a good dish for wintertime, when you get extra cardio while shoveling the driveway!


Ingredients:


1 lb medium red potatoes, cut into quarters
1 cup carrot, cut carrots about same size as potatoes 
3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast (not pictured -- ours was only two pounds)
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crumbled (or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped (I ended up using dried onion -- as you can see, the one I had on hand was not "small")
1 1/2 cups beef broth, can be canned or make it from beef granules (I used bullion cubes for the first time -- we had some weather that kept me from running out to the store)

Directions:


1. Arrange potatoes and carrots around outer edge of slow cooker. The original recipe said to use a 4-5 quart slow cooker, but I used what I have, which I'm guessing is smaller than that, but it worked fine, and we don't have the space to store a larger slow cooker anyway!



As you may have noticed, I added way more than one cup of carrots -- I like veggies, and am trying to force them on the hubby... figured when they're infused with tasty flavor is the most likely time I'll get him to eat them. Also, the potatoes aren't quartered, as they seemed more "large" than the "medium" that the recipe calls for. I just tried to end up with veggies that were equivalent in size.

2. Trim excess fat from beef (gross).

3. Mix mustard, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper.


*yum* 


4. Spread evenly over beef.


5. Place beef in slow cooker... on top of veggies, if you have a small crock pot like me.


6. Sprinkle onion over beef. I also added minced garlic on top, upon the suggestion of some comments. I think people said they added it in the mustard mix, but I forgot about it until I put the roast in the slow cooker, so that's when I added it.


7. Pour broth evenly over beef and vegetables.


8. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-9 hours, or until beef and veggies are tender. (You're not supposed to take the lid off a slow cooker, so I think it's funny that they say "or until tender".) I hope, for your sake, that everything is tender after 8 hours, because (as is the case with many crock pot recipes) it smells too good to wait much longer.

 *double yum*

9. Remove beef and veggies from slow cooker with a slotted spoon, slice beef, serve with juices from slow cooker spooned on top, if desired.



10. If there happen to be any leftovers, you can freeze them.


Actually, I think I'll have the last of the leftovers for dinner tonight, thankyouverymuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment