Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Taco Night

These recipes are from January 17th, which also happens to be the date that we made supper quick, then high-tailed it to the hospital to welcome our niece (my husband's sister's baby) into the world. No pictures -- had other things on my mind -- but wanted to share the recipes anyway.

Mexican food in general has always been a contentious area of food with my IBS, but I feel a lot more comfortable making it in my own kitchen than rolling the dice at a restaurant. Not including red meat helps, as does making my own seasoning, rather than possibly encountering MSG which is often included in seasoning packets.

Tacos: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lean_spicy_taco_meat.html
I used all ground turkey meat, opted for the chili powder over the ground chipotle chile, and bought store brand diced tomatoes with green chiles. We used store-bought shells and tortillas, and if I remember correctly, added green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese as toppings. Very basic, but pretty tasty :)

Rice: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spanish_rice/
Since we only did a half-recipe of the meat, I used the rest of the diced tomatoes with green chiles for the tomatoes called for in this recipe. This makes quite a bit of rice, so depending on how many people you're trying to feed, consider a half-batch.

Fairly quick, pretty easy, and somewhat healthy... but if you want to see it, you'll have to make it yourself! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment